Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Crohn's Diagnosis


Yesterday was my follow up appointment with GI to go over test results and discuss treatment options.  I was advised I do have Crohn's disease and that since my symptoms are not improving with prednisone I should also start Imuran and continue prednisone at 40MG instead of starting to taper down.  As hard as it was to hear I have  chronic illness it was a relief to finally know what has been making me sick on and off for years.  I am looking into alternative treatments and hope to figure out a diet that helps to prevent flair ups in the future.  Something that has been mentioned to me by numerous friends and online is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet or SCD.  It was created by a woman who has a daughter with Ulcerative Colitis another form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).  Anyone ever tried it?  I would love to know your experiences with it good or bad.

2 comments:

  1. I have started the SCD after12days in hospital with an ulcerative colitis flareup...hospital food was not agreeing with me....since being home I have felt better and things have been moving along well....I also make the yohgurt which is really yummy...getting the confirmed diagnosis is tough stay strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the response. I am excited to try it and have heard great things about the yogurt!

    ReplyDelete